Sunday, May 4, 2008

Quilt


For a recent college assignment I had to review the Imperial War Museum in relation to suitability for school visits. I hadn't been there since I was in primary school, and whilst I consider myself to be a pacifist (despite drunken play-fight tendencies) I loved it so much I made my Mother take me back there in the holidays.

Whilst walking around their 'Children's War' exhibit I came across this quilt, which was made by a family member to celebrate the birth of the child. After starting the quilt WW2 started, and so as it was worked on more and more things were embroidered on it relating to that. Whatever the subject though, it's an amazing thing to look at, and gives you a real sense of what the family was going through. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

Apologies for crap pic by the way - the lighting was very subdued.

No comments: